Building an Articulated Arm, Grade 8 Science
This is a really cool project I found a few years ago. It consists of teaching students how to read technical drawings in order to construct an articulated arm. The unit can be tied into biology (the musculoskeletal system) or science (structures). And it has a ton of real-world applications. The best part is that everything needed for the project is in these documents. Here are the documents, in PDF format. There are 9 documents in total. Click on hyperlinks to download PDF files, or click on photos to enlarge.
- ARM Document 1: These are the technical drawings needed to construct the arm.
- ARM Document 2: Diagrams for the model representing the articulation between the forearm and the hand
- ARM Document 3: Overview of the task
- ARM Document 4: Questionnaire on conceptual diagrams
- ARM Document 5: Questionnaire on the fork
- ARM Document 6: Specifications for the designing of a prosthesis simulating fingers. This is for students who want to go above and beyond in their project.